Thursday 22 March 2018

Dukkah Donuts With A Citrus Glaze

Donuts/doughnuts are delicious and decadent...  But there's a big but - and maybe a big butt!  They are chock-full of sugar and carbs.  So my suggestion?  Only eat them now and then, and just enjoy them.  As regular readers suspect, I am addicted to cookbooks, and yes I have a new one on my desk.  I like to support other bloggers by buying their books, so that's my excuse - not that I need one.

This recipe is from Molly Yeh's book Molly on the Range, chock full of recipes that reflect her Jewish/Chinese heritage and her current Mid-West lifestyle.  These are delicious little baked doughnuts, with a citrus glaze and a sprinkle of spicy dukkah.  So yes you can have another, my friends, 'cos they're just so non-greasy, and moreish.  I made the dukkah first, then went on to the doughnuts and the glaze.  Molly says this recipe makes 12.  I ended up making 21!  Lord knows what size baking tin she has:=)




very delicious


Makes 12 very large doughnuts, or in my case, 21 regular ones:


ingredients:


Dukkah:


1/4 cup (40g.) of hazelnuts, toasted then blitzed in the processor

1/4 cup (35g.) sesame seeds 

pinch of sea salt

1 tbs coriander seeds OR 1 tsp ground coriander + 1 tsp mace + 1/2 tsp mixed spice + 1/2 tsp ras-el-hanout

1 tsp fennel or anise seeds

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ras-el-hanout or mixed spice (yes, extra to the above)


Method:


Grab your food processor; blitz the toasted hazelnuts
Then throw in the toasted sesame seeds and blitz a bit more
In goes the salt and all the other spices
Blitz till well combined and put aside till needed



getting ready to blitz the dukkah 




you guessed it! - blitzed


Right, let's get on to the doughnuts now.  The rich aroma of the dukkah will keep you on your toes as you bake.  


Doughnuts:


220g. (1¾ cups) plain flour

225g. (1 cup) white sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

3/4 tsp sea salt

1 large egg

125 mLs (1/2 cup) buttermilk

60 mLs (1/4 cup) plain oil - like safflower or corn oil

1 tsp vanilla extract

60 mLs (1/4 cup) water


Method:


Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl

Grab a medium mixing bowl and whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and water

Now pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, whisking firmly till nicely combined - not too madly, just till mixed well

Spoon the thick mixture into a pouring jug (with a good spout), and pour it into each (lightly-greased) cavity till about half full - (you could use a piping bag if you fancy)

Bake for about 12 minutes at 190C/375F till nicely golden

Let them rest in the pan for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack




whisk the dry ingredients together 


whisk the wet ingredients


now whisk them together



let them rest for 5 mins. after baking for 12 mins. at 190C 



now they cool on the rack - yep, a few stuck a bit to the tin 



Now for the glaze/icing:


400g. (3 cups) of icing/powdered sugar

2 tbs honey

4-6 tbs citrus juice - I used orange and lemon, but choose your fave kind (Molly suggests blood oranges).  Start with 4 tbs, and keep adding juice till you have a thick but spreadable consistency

Method:


Mix the honey into the icing sugar, then add the juice a spoon at a time

Dip the doughnuts into the glaze

Sprinkle on the dukkah as generously (or not) as you like




stir the glaze briskly


ready for doughnut dunking


and ready for eating





    my doughnutty doodle


Notes:


I followed Molly's recipe for the dukkah, and ended up with a humongous amount.  I still have heaps, probably about 200g., which I will use in other dishes.  My suggestion is to make half her quantities, maybe even a quarter, unless you want to have a lot of dukkah in your pantry

I didn't have any buttermilk, so I made some by adding 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice to half a cup of full cream milk.  Give it a good stir and leave for a couple of minutes 

N.B. the amount of glaze made is also humongous.  I dipped half my doughnuts twice and still had a bit over, so you may want to halve the original amount




heaps of dukkah left over 

14 comments:

  1. Hehe well you know they always say that everything is bigger in America. But almost double is a lot bigger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know lorraine. nowhere does she say anything about the massive quantities it makes. i tried to google anything about errors in her recipes but i can't find it. it's a mystery. cheers S x

      Delete
  2. Holy dolly they look good Sherry. I am sure the extra Dukkah will come in handy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're right glenda. it smells and tastes so delish; i'm sure it will be great sprinkled on heaps of foods. cheers S

      Delete
  3. Hi Sherry, I'm on the look out for a doughnut tray at the moment and seeing recipes like this is just enforcing the fact that I want one. I do have a tray that makes mini doughnuts that was perfect for when the children were small, I may just have to dig it out. Will definately half the spices though.... Pinning.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb
      Yep it makes a heap of dukkah. I’m a bit surprised she doesn’t mention that :). Cheers S.

      Delete
  4. These look unbelievably diving Sherry. It's very hard to get doughnut tins. They are always 'sold out' or waiting for new stock. I have had them on my Pinterest 'Things I Want" board for quite some time. No doubt this recipe will drive up demand. I still read all of your posts but rarely have time to comment at present. That will change in the middle of the year when I finish this contract. Keep up the good work my friend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. Good to see you are still around:). Cheers S x

      Delete
  5. I have yet to try baked doughnuts. I must invest in a baking tin at some stage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tandy
      They're certainly worth a go. Cheers Sherry x

      Delete
  6. Dear God these look good! Much more straight forward than the deep fried ones that Dave makes every now and then. I haven't baked them before but this is so much easier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jem
      These are very easy. A bit like a muffin cake but very tasty. I hate frying:)

      Delete
  7. Soo well done! They´re Looking so tasty, reminds me of my summer Holidays in the alps where i´ve Always eaten them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Maya
      are you a real person? I don't know who you are, sadly. Really? You ate dukkah doughnuts in the Alps?? Mmm ....

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.